It looks to be a sunny and eventful weekend in Shaw. Here are a few of the exciting options:
1. Happy Birthday Long View Gallery!!!! – Shaw’s very own Long View Gallery celebrates one year of success this Saturday night. The gallery’s walls are currently adorned with representative works of all artists they've featured over the course of the past year. Snatch up a beautiful piece of art, mingle with neighbors, and celebrate this success story of Shaw's art scene this Saturday night from 6 to 8pm. Chatman’s D'Vine Bakery & Café, which is set to open in one of the convention center's retail spaces on 9th Street later this month, is providing the very special and unique birthday cake for the event.
Long View Gallery One Year Anniversary Celebration
1302 9th Street, NW
2. Open House Crawl – Check out these and other open houses throughout Shaw this weekend. Even if not in the market to buy, I always find open houses to be a neat source of inspiration and a great way to see how your place stacks up on the market.
3. Check Yourself – (I was a month off when I asked this in June, but can now officially ask:) Now that we're past the half way point, how are you doing on your neighborhood-enhancing resolutions? It’s not too late to play catch up and volunteer, beautify, organize or just be a better neighbor.
4. Happy Hour at Be Bar - Did you know that be bar features a happy hour every day from 5 to 9pm? What a great excuse to relax in be bar's posh setting and sip on one of their half price martinis! Speaking of their martinis, their full menu is a whopping four pages long. Three that stand out to me are: 1) Godiva Chocolate Martini - a mixture of Stolichnaya Vanil Vodka, Godiva Chocolate Liqueur, and DeKuyper White Crème de Cacao with chocolate shavings; 2) Pop Rocks Martini - made with Absolut Rasberri and DeKuyper Strawberry Passion with pineapple and Pop Rocks Candy; and 3) Cherry Cheesecake Martini - a combination of Van Gogh Black Cherry, Cruzan Vanilla and Cream with Grenadine.
1318 9th Street, NW
5. Queen of Sheba Weekly Saturday Morning Breakfast – Judging from last week's comments, there seems to be general interest in casual, weekly, Saturday morning neighborhood breakfasts at Queen of Sheba. I lament that I can't make it this week or next (some commenters can't make it either), but now's as good a time as any to start. I believe we said we'd shoot generally to be there around 10am for breakfast with neighbors. Leave a comment if you can make it this week so others know who/how many to expect.
6. There's Always This Fun Stuff To Do in Shaw - These regular weekend options are always great: the Liberation Dance Party at DC9, the shows at 9:30 Club, Black Cat, Arena Stage, and Studio Theater, the cultural offerings of the Warehouse Arts Complex, Project 4 Gallery, the Ninth Street Gallery, and the Long View Gallery, and the chance to get your freak on and knock back some drinks at places like Avenue, Be Bar, and Old Dominion Brewhouse.