ReNewShaw Twitter

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Introducing: Curb Appeal Shoutout

Inspired by several other neighborhood blogs (most recently Mt Vernon Square and Prince of Petworth), I would like to start a regular “Curb Appeal Shoutout” feature here on renewshaw.com. Basically I want to highlight Shaw residents or business owners who do a great job at keeping their little slice of Shaw beautiful (in an effort to be as inclusive as possible, I use the phrase “curb appeal” very loosely, but I’m shooting for photos of beautiful front yards, tree boxes and/or facades in the neighborhood). As I am but one person and my paying time job is not blogging or exploring Shaw, I’ll need your help: submit to me photos of beautiful outdoor spaces in the Shaw neighborhood at slumhistorique at yahoo dot com. Depending on the community response, I will throw together a contest late this summer to vote on the most curb appealing shoutout and will bestow a yet-to-be determined award on the winner.

As for the fine print behind this idea (note that the fine print is subject to revision), I ask that you make sure it’s ok with the owner of the house if it’s ok if a picture of their property and the address is posted on this blog. Please provide the name of the owner and his/her address and contact info for all curb appeal shoutouts. I will not post the names of owners (if for some reason it seems beneficial or useful or necessary to do so, I will contact the owner first to make sure it’s ok) or the specific address (although I will likely say the block and street of the property)

So take some pictures, talk to some neighbors, and email me at slumhistorique at yahoo dot com!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Looking forward to seeing the submissions.

On a related note, I would like to give a curb appeal shout out to my neighbor on the 1600 block of Marion St. who recently transformed his dirt and trash strewn front yard with a little mulch, flowers and stones. While maybe not "award winning," the little garden is a huge transformation and I really enjoy walking by it everyday knowing the change.

Shaw Rez said...

Little transformations are part of the bigger picture, so that's very exciting! I'll have to check it out this weekend--hopefully with a camera!