Do some good, fight some crime, drink some cold ones, play in the dirt, buy something nice, eat something good, or just have a blast in the great neighborhood that is Shaw this weekend. Here are a few options before you:
1. Opening Day at the Seventh Street Garden Saturday - Paint signs, prepare beds, build new beds, build a compost bin, and more at the Seveth Street Garden this Saturday from 10am to 4pm. All are welcome--both kids and adults--and no gardening experience is necessary. Just bring an interest to have fun, meet new people and be outside, and show up to the Seventh Street Garden.
2. Community March and Rally Against Crime Saturday - Tomorrow's march will begin at noon at 9th & O Streets. It will conclude with a rally at 7th & O Streets. Invited guests include Mayor Adrian Fenty, DC Council Members, Sen. Barack Obama, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton, Rev. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jessie L. Jackson, and Many Others. There also will be a health fair, a job fair, and free refreshments. A .pdf of the flyer is available here.
3. X at be bar Saturday Night - (Fashion + Electronica + Design + Belly Dancing + Projections) + YOU = X. 6pm-10pm Saturday night. For more info, click here.
X at be bar
1318 9th Street, NW
4. Take the G2 Bus to the Dupont Farmers Market on Sunday - The Dupont Farmers Market resumes its warm weather schedule and celebrates its 10th year running this Sunday morning. It's not "in shaw" per se, but the bus ride to freshness couldn't be easier.
Dupont FreshFarm Market
1500 block of 20th St., between Massachusetts Ave. and Q St., in the adjacent parking lot of PNC Bank
9am to 1pm
5. All the Stuff You Know and Love in Shaw - Check out the Liberation Dance Party at DC9, the shows at 9:30 Club, Black Cat, Arena Stage, and Studio Theater, the cultural offerings of the Warehouse Arts Complex, Project 4 Gallery, the Ninth Street Gallery, and the Long View Gallery, and the chance to get your freak on and knock back some drinks at places like Avenue, Be Bar, and Old Dominion Brewhouse.
I'm definitely leaving a lot off--let others know what I'm missing in the comments.
Have a Weekend Shoutout suggestion? Email me at email@example.com!