ReNewShaw Twitter

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Shaw News Grab Bag

Work's been keeping me too busy to type, but Shaw's still pumping out newsworthy goodies. Here are a few things on my radar:

1. A French Bistro Is Coming to Upper 9th - As reported here, the place will be located at 1905 9th Street and will be named 1905. It will be "The kind of place you want to eat, hang out, drink some wine, then come back the next night and do it again." The restaurant is being developed by Phil Rodriguez and Joey Belcher, of Sticky Rice on H Street, and Mick Mier and Joe Steger the design team responsible for Science Club, Napoleon and Sesto Senso. When asked what it will add to the neighborhood, one of the owners replied "Sexy." (thanks for the tip, Amanda!)

2. Lake Woodson Progress Excites Me - The the four unit development at the corner of 9th and Q Streets continues to progress. The concrete block fire walls are up, and now the wood framing is underway. It's so exciting to see this building take shape.

3. A Mural Is Going Up on Shiloh's Daycare Building - I thought I saw patchwork being performed on the side of Shiloh's daycare building recently. Sure enough, it seems that the work was in anticipation of a mural that is currently being painted on the portion of the building abutting the parking lot. A crew of twenty somethings (reportedly) has been painting the mural this week. I look forward to seeing the final product, and am hopeful that it will really enliven and enhance the streetscape. Now if they could just replace those broken awnings on the building...

4. The Library's Glass Again - I know it's old news to most now, but it's great to read that the library design incorporates a lot of glass again! Plan to attend the final design meeting for the new Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Neighborhood Library on Thursday, September 4, 2008, at 6:30 PM at the interim Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Neighborhood Library, 945 Rhode Island Avenue, NW, to see the final designs.

10 comments:

Mari said...

1905 9th St still not close enough for my lazy butt. But....close enough to drag friends to.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back with us... I was jonesin for some blog posts. Any more development status updates?

Mr. Q said...

Agreed its exciting to see progress at Lake Woodson Shawrez, but they appear to be building condos/apartments for hobbits...

Maybe its a bad case of envisioning on my part, but the rooms look like they'll be super tiny don't they?

Either way, I'm happy to see progress! Now will someone do something with Michael Sendar's building across the street please???

Shaw Rez said...

Mr. Q - your comment made me laugh at my desk. The footprint of the building is smaller than I imagined, but I've heard that these things always seem smaller than they really are in the early phases. I, too, am curious to see how big the units look once constructed. Contrary to my original understanding of the layout, I *think* that some/all? of the units are going to be 3 or 4 stories high, so what they lack in width will be made up for in height. I could totally be wrong though.

All that said, the effect on the intersection, corner and block of this development is already apparent. It dramatically improves the area.

The transformation of Sendar's place would be huge. fingers crossed we see some movement on that front...

Unknown said...

Mr. Q...

I remember when I was a kid and my parents put an addition on the back of the house because we were blending two families and they needed a new, spacious master suite to get away from the newly formed family of 7.

As I watched the foundation being poured and then the studs go up I remember saying to her, I thought you said spacious, this is tiny. In the end, the place was huge. I think there is something to be said for envisioning though I do hope the finished product is more grand, or grander or grandeur, or something, then it currently appears.

Having met with their architect, and seen some of his work as well as having seen the plans... I think it will eventually be an awesome, 4-unit (or 4-union... haha) building.

Mr. Q said...

Glad I could bring some levity to your day Shawrez...

And I don't mean to sound negative...it's beyond great that there's construction happening at that intersection!

Anonymous said...

I think 1905 9th is the space above Grape Legs.

I dig Grape Legs, the one time I was in there the guy who owns that place went out of his to take the wife and I on quite a wine tasting ride - in a good way that is. Have been meaning to go back ever since.

The ultimate would be if the French Bistro was into "apportez votre vin." Just imagine picking up your booze in the wine shop downstairs and taking it upstairs to enjoy with a nice meal in the Bistro. Not sure if the DC booze code even allows such things, but sure would be nice.

Anonymous said...

DC ABC laws do not allow BYOB, I'm sorry to say. Also sorry to advise that Grape Legs closed permanently last fall due to a dispute with the property owner. A new liquor store is taking its place.

Re: Sendar's property, if the proposed zoning relief is approved, Sendar will sell the buildings and we'll get some appropriate retail there at last. He's working with a new, realistic Realtor, whose waiting for the zoning case to be completed.

—Alexander M. Padro
Executive Director
Shaw Main Streets

Mr. Q said...

Any time frame on the conclusion of the zoning case Alex?

What does "realistic" mean in terms of Mr Sendar's realtor? What's he asking now?

Mr. Q said...

And if you do happen to check back here Alex - speaking of abandoned properties, what's the deal with Warren Williams abandoned liquor store on the southeast corner of
7th and Q street...now the site of an increasing number of chairs and a daily street party?