ReNewShaw Twitter

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

1416 9th Progresses

Walking to work today, I noticed that new, double hung, wood windows are going into the building under renovation at 1416 9th Street (pictured below). The windows look great, complimenting a renovation that has been fun to watch (it looks like they're doing a good job). You might notice that the exterior fire escape, vinyl siding and the aluminum awning that once adorned the front facade are no more.Most likely, the decision to use of the double hung, wooden replacement windows in this renovation was to conform with the historic district regulations. As evidenced in comments to this post, these regulations do not sit well with all. I am generally a fan of the protections afforded by historic district designation, and I am increasingly a fan of wooden windows (which seems to be a go-to complaint by many opposing the regulations). The new mantra in historic preservation seems to be that the "no maintenance" appeal of-- admittedly cheaper in the short term--vinyl windows is fleeting, as “No maintenance means they can’t be repaired." Check out this post on more about the benefits of wood windows (new or restoring existing) and the sometimes false promises of vinyl.

4 comments:

Mari said...

The style of window is looking lovely, from the pix, but is it the style with the grill/pane look or the material that you are a fan of? Back when I thought I could afford to replace my section8 windows (ha, ha) EcoGuy said that the style of window that was more eco-energy saving was casement, not exactly something that would fit with the HD style. It didn't fit my asthethics either (since I wasn't sure about the AC & my units were still for the double hung type).

Shaw Rez said...

My post was prompted by the fact that like the aesthetics of window they're using here, the 2 over 2 style.

But I also got to thinking (and had recently read the linked post about the advantages of wood windows) about wood vs. vinyl clad windows... I'm becoming a believer in their superiority.

Anonymous said...

Two over two sashes in the 1880s-1910s were meant for the backs of houses. They were cheaper than the one over ones you saved for the front since larger panes of glass were more expensive. Only cheap rental tenements used two over two in the front. HPRB, however, never seemed to get the memo.

Come have a look at the beautiful aluminum double-pane single panel German Schücco windows I had installed in the back of my house. There is one whole plan that opens in on one side or, with the pivot of the handle, tilts back from the top so you can leave the window open even in a moderate rainstorm. I am soooo pissed I can't replace the original wooden windows. Still the windows in the back made living without air conditioning quite comfortable.

Shaw Rez said...

jpakdj - I definitely concede that I'm envious of your undoubtedly beautiful, easy to clean, highly functional German Schücco windows. And I concede I'm no historian, so I judge the looks of 1416's new windows based on aesthetics alone, not historic accuracy--I like the 2 over 2 versus 1 over 1 look.