Happy Memorial Day Weekend! For those of you sticking around, there’s a lot going on in our nation’s capital and in Shaw. My weekend is slated to be a relaxing one spent around mi casa (and not, say, in traffic). The following are a few suggestions for things to do in Shaw:
1. Watch the United House of Prayer (UHOP) Marching Band Parade Saturday at Noon - The annual parade begins at noon. Neighborhood youth have been preparing for this exciting event for weeks (you've probably heard them practicing outside near the convention center--they sound great!). I am unsure of the exact route--anyone know?
2. Enjoy Some Summer Flavors at Vegetate – With strawberries on the menu (featuring a new dessert: blue corn biscuits and organic strawberries with rosemary cardamom infused coconut milk), fresh squeezed juice and herb martinis (my favorite is the grapefruit mint martini), and a boutique wine list (I’m intrigued by a sparking wine from Spain I’ve seen on the menu), what better way is there to indulge than at our very own Vegetate?
3. Taint at DC9 on Saturday Night – This “alternative night for queer boys and girls” offers a refreshingly different nightlife option. Featuring special guest DJ Rob Diaz this month, doors open at 9pm with a $5 cover.
4. Memorial Day Celebration in Logan Circle Park on Monday – Join our neighbors in Logan Circle Park for a Memorial Day celebration at 1pm.
5. Have Some Neighbors Over - Invite a neighbor or two over for a glass of wine or coffee one evening this weekend and kick up that neighbory feeling we love so much.
6. Shaw Is Always a Weekend Destination - These regular weekend options are always great: the Liberation Dance Party at DC9, the shows at 9:30 Club, Black Cat, Arena Stage, and Studio Theater, the cultural offerings of the Warehouse Arts Complex, Project 4 Gallery, the Ninth Street Gallery, and the Long View Gallery, and the chance to get your freak on and knock back some drinks at places like Avenue, Be Bar, and Old Dominion Brewhouse.