Of course this week's gorgeous weather goes in hiding in time for the weekend (showers are expected later today apparently, and Saturday's and Sunday's highs are only expected to be in the 50's), but that doesn't mean you can't have a blast in Shaw this first weekend of Spring!
1. Enjoy a Cocktail at Vegetate – You STILL haven’t celebrated Vegetate’s liquor license victory? Unacceptable. Even if you're a staunch carnivore, you owe it to yourself to try their tasty beverages. They’re open until 10pm tonight and tomorrow night, so you’ve got plenty of time to pop in post-work, pre-dinner or post-dinner. Their bar and lounge are on the second floor, so don’t be timid in heading up the steps. Here’s their cocktail menu (note all of the fresh ingredients!):
The Green Tea Cool Out
Charbay green tea vodka, lemon juice
and agave nectar
Gin & Ginger
Bombay sapphire gin, apples, ginger,
lime juice and splash of soda
Lemon Thyme Martini
Charbay meyer lemon vodka, fresh
squeezed lemonade and thyme
Hot & Cold Martini
Charbay rum, cucumber, jalepeno and
Other spirits available include Jack Daniels, Grey Goose, Captain Morgan. And let's not forget about their DELICIOUS Bloody Marys and mimosas with Sunday Brunch!
1414 9th Street, NW
2. Happy Hour at Old Dominion - Hit O.D. after work tonight. Offered Mon-Fri from 3:30-6:30pm, their happy hour features $2.99 drafts and 1/2 price appetizers.
Old Dominion Brewhouse
1219 9th Street, NW
3. Plant Something Beautiful! – Just because the temps will be cool doesn't mean you can't pretend it's a gorgeous spring weekend. The Garden District is stocked full of gorgeous annuals and perennials just begging to enjoy the view from your balconies, front yards, tree boxes (many of which received mulch from Shaw Main Streets’ Green Team this week!), backyards, window boxes, and/or fire escapes.
4. Pick Up Some Treebox Vodka – It takes very little effort to make a big difference in terms of litter. Take thirty minutes out of your day to pick up trash up and down your block.
5. Of course, Shaw Always Offers this Fun Weekend Stuff - Check out the Liberation Dance Party at DC9, the shows at 9:30 Club, Black Cat, Arena Stage, and Studio Theater, the cultural offerings of the Warehouse Arts Complex, Project 4 Gallery, the Ninth Street Gallery, and the Long View Gallery, and the chance to get your freak on and knock back some drinks at places like Avenue, Be Bar, and Old Dominion Brewhouse.