I’m unaware of any graffiti regulations or laws in the District (please correct my ignorance if there are any restrictions). It seems that a little legislating and/or rule making could go a long way towards helping curb the problem with little impact on businesses. Here are some slightly big-brotherish (and potentially Constitutionally-prohibited) ideas about what we could do:
1. Impose an age restriction on the purchase of spray paint: You must be 18 in order to purchase spray paint and photo i.d. is required (and record must be kept of name of purchaser).
2. Make it illegal for a minor to possess spray paint (with limited exceptions).
3. Require retailers to keep spray paint behind the register or inaccessible without employee-assistance.
4. Require purchasers to “register” where they intend to use the spray paint.
5. Impose a special tax on the sale of spray paint to help fund graffiti removal efforts.
6. Make it illegal to mail spray paint into D.C.
I know these ideas, if implemented, would probably only pose a minor roadblock to taggers, but they might make it slightly more difficult for taggers to access their tools of trade. Thoughts?