We've got all sorts of things going on this weekend in Shaw; therefore, as always, there's no need to wander elsewhere:
1. Seduce & Destroy at the Space on Saturday- Aphrodizia hosts a multimedia party with music and visuals featuring Yoko K and Painted Lady Performance Project at The Space on Saturday from 9 p.m.-1 a.m. Word is that it's going to be uber cool, as events always are at The Space.
903 N Street, NW
Saturday Night from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m
$10 cover at the door
2. Free Program on Howard Theatre History and Redevelopment Saturday Afternoon - The D.C. government is finalizing a lease with a developer to restore the historic Howard Theater at 620 T Street, NW . The legendary theater’s stage was graced by every major African American performer during the heyday of Washington ’s Black Broadway.
"The Howard Theatre: Yesterday and Tomorrow, ” a free event celebrating the Howard’s legendary past and bright future, will be held on Saturday afternoon from 3p.m. to 4:30, at The Carnegie at Mount Vernon Square. This event will feature live jazz performances, a presentation about the theater’s history, reminiscences from performers who played the Howard, an appearance by “Duke” Ellington’s daughter, Mercedes Ellington, audience members sharing Howard Theatre memories, and a presentation about the plans for the theater’s revitalization.
The public is encouraged to bring Howard Theatre memorabilia and will be invited to have their recollections videotaped for a documentary on the Howard. This event is free and open to the public, but reservations are requested. RSVP: 202-383-1837.
The Carnegie at Mount Vernon Square
801 K Street, NW (enter on K Street)
Saturday afternoon from 3p.m. to 4:30p.m.
3. Opening Reception at the Ninth Street Gallery on Saturday - There's an opening reception for this gallery's newest show, which features ceramic sculpture and photography at the Ninth Street Gallery on Saturday from 5p.m. to 7p.m.
The Ninth Street Gallery
1306 9th Street, NW
Saturday night from 5p.m. to 7p.m.
4. Music at Warehouse Friday Night - Commencing at 9:30p.m. at Warehouse is live music featuring OmegaBand, Mostly Monkee and Throwdown Syndicate. Other bands playing at Warehouse this weekend include Hard Candy, Spoiled Girls Galore, Hollywood, The New Flesh, The One AM Radio, Pygmy Lush, and Christian Brady and the First to Know. Wow--there's a lot going on there! Check out Warehouse's website for more deets.
Warehouse Theater Complex
1017 7th Street, NW
5. The Regular Stuff that Makes Shaw the Shizz - Check out the Liberation Dance Party at DC9, the shows at 9:30 Club, Black Cat, Arena Stage, and Studio Theater, the cultural offerings of the Warehouse Arts Complex, Project 4 Gallery, the Ninth Street Gallery, and the Long View Gallery, and the chance to get your freak on and knock back some drinks at places like Avenue and Be Bar.
What am I leaving out? Leave a comment!
Know of a weekend shoutout I should feature? Email me at email@example.com!