Ahh, Friday. Still scratching your head about what to do in or around our great neighborhood this weekend? Here are a few ideas:
1. Restaurant Week in Shaw. As indicated in my earlier post, we have some great restaurants in--and within a stone's throw of--our great neighborhood. Know that I left off many other closeby restaurants that are also participating in Restaurant Week (such as Tabaq, Zengo, and Zaytinia) if my prior list didn't inspire you. Click here for the full city-wide listing of participating restaurants.
2. Liberation Dance Party at DC 9, as always, makes Shaw the shiz on Friday nights. Dance to new music and videos for only $5.
3. Blowoff, a monthly gay dance party (sorry for the woefully inadequate description), is on tap at the 9:30 Club on Saturday night. This month's Blowoff is a featured event for the Mid-Atlantic Leather Festival (occurring in town all weekend). The DJ Sounds of Bob Mould & Richard Morel will entertain all. Doors open at 9:30. 21 and up only and $20 cover.
4. DJ Craze and DJ Feelgood at Avenue on Sunday night. Presented by Buzzlife, this is quite a scene. $15 in advance, 9 p.m. until 2:30 a.m.
5. Taint, an "indie-rock and electro party for those tired of the same-old gay club circuit" according to the WaPo, goes down at DC9 on Sunday night. This month features a live performance by DynastyHandbag. Doors open at 9. $3 cover
6. As it looks like we're expecting a good bit of rain throughout the weekend, how about grabbing some coffee or soup at Azi's (1336 9th St., Sat. 7 a.m. to 7p.m. and Sun. 7a.m. to 6p.m.) and/or renting a movie at Giant (1414 9th Street, open 24 hours) for a chill, dry time inside?
There's a lot more going on in and around our neighborhood this weekend. Check out the venue links above for some of the things I'm leaving off.