As reported yesterday, a modular unit will be placed on Rhode Island across from Seaton Elementary School, to house a temporary library in Shaw. I think this is a bad idea, and offer the following justifications for my opinion:
1. The Modular Unit (a.k.a. trailer) will be an eyesore.
2. The Modular Unit (a.k.a. trailer) will offer criminals a place to hide along an otherwise open stretch of land, thus making BOTH sides of Rhode Island sketchy in this stretch given Seaton's lack of lighting.
3. The Modular Unit (a.k.a. trailer) might be used by a school for classroom space once the new library is "reconstructed," thereby making us look at it for years AND years to come.
4. The Modular Unit (a.k.a. trailer) is not placed in a commercial zone. The library should be housed in a nearby retail space instead of in the trailer, as doing so would encourage foot traffic along our commercial corridors.
5. The Modular Unit (a.k.a. trailer) is a waste of library resources when there is not a cohesive plan for the library system, much less our Shaw branch.
Anyone have any other reasons to complain about this eyesore?